Choosing the size of your garage door is an important decision. The size of your garage door can affect your home or business’s functionality, appearance, and energy efficiency. Yet, how do you decide which size is best for your needs? This blog post will guide you through what you need to know when deciding the right garage door size for your home or property. We will cover topics such as selecting the right size based on your vehicle and how to measure a garage door. Read on to learn more!
What Are Standard Garage Door Sizes?
When it comes to garage doors, size really matters. The size of your door will determine your garage’s overall look and function. But what are the standard sizes?
Single Car Garage Door
An ideal fit for single-vehicle garages, a single garage door is almost always 7 or 8 feet high and 8, 9, or 10 feet wide. This size makes it suitable to house any standard-sized automobile, whether a car, SUV, truck, or van.
Two Car Garage Door
A double-door garage is ideal for homeowners with multiple vehicles and those looking to use it for more than just parking. The standard height for this option is between 7 and 8 feet, while the width can range from 16 to 18 feet. Not only does the double door provide an easy access point for car parking, but it also provides added space for use as a workshop or storage area.
RV Garage Door Size
Large garage doors are the best option if you require extra space to accommodate multiple cars or an RV. These larger doors typically come in sizes of 10, 12, or 14 feet in height and width to accommodate your needs.
Custom Size Garage Door
When choosing your garage door size, keep in mind that custom sizes are also available if you need something specific for your space. Your local garage door professionals can help you select the perfect size for your needs and ensure the installation goes smoothly.
How to Measure Your Door
If you plan to purchase a new garage door, your installers will do an on-site visit and measure it for the perfect options. Yet, if you prefer to get things done yourself, here are some instructions on accurately measuring the size of your garage door.
– Accurately measure the width and height of the entry point (the rough opening) to the nearest inch, which should be about the same size as your door.
– Check the space on either side of the entrance (the sideroom). You will need at least 3.75 inches for a vertical track system, but some require 5.5 inches.
– Note the distance from the top of the doorway to the ceiling (the headroom). Standard systems demand 12 inches of headroom plus an additional 3 inches in clearance for the opener.
– Lastly, ascertain the distance between the garage door opening and the back wall of the garage (the backroom). You must provide a space equal to the door height plus 18 inches, though this may change based on the opener installation.
Tips to Help You Determine the Right Size for Your Needs
Measure the dimensions (height, width, and depth) of your garage opening.
– Make sure to measure any obstacles near the opening, such as light fixtures or exhaust vents.
– Take into account drive-thru clearance considerations, if applicable.
– Consider where the hinges will go when determining how wide and long the door should be.
– If you are looking for a custom size, talk to a professional garage door installer to see what options they can offer.
– Consider insulation requirements, especially if you plan to use your garage as an extra living space.
Garage Door Replacement Near Me
Forget the hassle of choosing the right garage door size—Titan Garage Doors NE got you covered! With unparalleled customer service, our team is ready to help make your new garage door dreams come true. So call us today, and experience the superior quality of a Titan Garage Doors NE door for your garage door installation project.