Garages are not just places to park your car. They are also common places to store valuable tools and equipment and can even lead to the inside of your house. Most of the time, people forget to secure their garages while trying to keep their homes and things safe. That is why picking the right garage door locks is important for security and peace of mind. But here is the question: Keyed or keyless garage door lock – which is better?
In this post, we will discover the differences between keyed and keyless locks for garage doors, including the advantages and disadvantages of each. We will help you make your garage door safer and learn about the newest home security techniques. Let us get started!
Keyed Garage Door Locks
A keyed garage door lock is an important part of home security systems. They give your home and belongings an extra layer of security. These locks have a built-in key cylinder, which makes it easy to lock and unlock the garage door.
Most Common Types of Keyed Garage Door Locks
- T-Handle Locks: These are among the oldest and most common ways to keep your garage door safe. They have a T-shaped handle you can turn with a key to lock or unlock the door. Most of the time, these locks are placed inside the garage door and are easy to install.
- Deadbolt Locks: These keyed locks offer a high level of security because of their sturdy design and reliable locking system. Because you need a key to lock and open a deadbolt lock, it is very hard to tamper with or break into.
- Side-Mounted Locks: These garage locks are installed on the garage door’s vertical tracks and are opened with a key. When engaged, the door can not be lifted or pushed open, making it a great choice for extra security.
Advantages of Keyed Garage Door Locks
- Security: With a physical key, keyed locks offer a high level of protection for your garage. Unauthorized people will have a hard time getting into your garage this way.
- Key Control: No one but people you trust can get into your garage without your permission. Therefore, you can successfully monitor and limit access.
- Simplicity: Using the keyed garage door lock is simple and requires no specialized knowledge or tools. Anyone with the right key can lock and unlock the garage door.
- Cost-Effective: Most of the time, keyed garage locks cost less upfront. If you lose or have your key stolen, they are usually easy and cheap to replace.
Disadvantages of Keyed Garage Door Locks
- Key Management: It can be hard to keep track of keys and ensure they do not get lost or misplaced. Once lost, it can be dangerous, so you might need to change the locks.
- Inconvenience: They require physical keys, which means you need to carry a key with you to unlock the garage. Imagine it raining, and you have to open the garage door manually.
- Vulnerability to Picking: Traditional keyed locks can be vulnerable to lock picking. However, this is less likely to happen with high-quality locks with more advanced security features.
- Key Sharing: If you need to grant access to multiple people, you may need to provide multiple keys. It can make it more likely that the keys will get lost or stolen.
Keyless Garage Door Locks
Modern security options like keyless garage door locks make your life easier and keep your garage safer. You do not need physical keys to open these locks. Instead, you can use keypads, remote controls, smartphones, or even biometric authentication to get in. Here are the most important features of a keyless garage lock:
- Keypad Entry: For most keyless garage door locks, there is a keypad where you can enter a PIN code to open the door. It gets rid of the trouble of having keys around and the chance of losing them.
- Remote Control: You can open or close your garage door from a distance with some keyless systems that come with garage door remote controls.
- Smartphone Integration: A lot of modern keyless garage door locks can connect to apps on your phone. With this feature, you can control your garage door from a distance and be alerted if anything seems suspicious.
- Biometric Authentication: A high-end keyless garage door lock may incorporate biometric authentication methods. It includes fingerprint or retina scanning and provides an even higher level of security.
Advantages of Keyless Garage Door Locks
- Enhanced Security: These locks are typically more secure than traditional locks, as there are no physical keys to be lost or stolen. Also, some types have rolling codes that make it harder for people who might try to hack the system.
- Convenience: You can get into your garage without having to look for your keys, even when the weather is bad. It is useful when you have groceries or other items to carry.
- Remote Access: Remote control and smartphone integration allow you to control your garage door from anywhere.
- Guest Access: By giving out temporary PIN codes or remote access credentials, keyless locks make it easy to let other people in.
Disadvantages of Keyless Garage Door Locks
- Initial Cost: Most of the time, these locks cost more upfront than standard locks that use keys. The price includes buying the lock and sometimes having a professional install it if you are unsure how to do it yourself.
- Power Dependency: They need power to work, which can be problematic if the battery dies or the power goes out. Even though some locks have backup battery systems, they still need to be serviced regularly to ensure they keep working.
- Technical Issues: Like any other electronic device, keyless locks can malfunction. Problems can also arise with software changes and smart home or mobile app compatibility.
- Security Concerns: Most people think remote locks are safe, but they can still be hacked or attacked online. To lower security risks, it is important to pick a lock with strong security features and keep its code or software up to date.
Keyed vs. Keyless Garage Door Lock: Which Is Better?
One of the most important things to think about when it comes to protecting your garage is choosing the best garage door lock. Both choices have their pros and cons, and the one you pick will depend a lot on your wants and preferences. When choosing between keyed and keyless locks, it is crucial to consider your budget. Think of how convenient you want things to be and whether you prefer old-fashioned or new-fashioned security options. Compatibility with current systems, like garage door openers, is also very important. Lastly, do not forget about maintenance and durability. Check the lock’s weather resistance and maintenance needs to ensure they will last longer.
Do you have the right garage door lock? Your garage is the main entrance to your home most of the time, and at Titan Garage Doors NE, we know how crucial it is to keep your belongings safe. Discover our wide selection of garage doors and locks and find useful techniques to keep your home safe.
When protecting your family and belongings, do not settle for less. For the best way to keep your home safe, talk to the pros at Titan Garage Doors NE. Call us today, and we will make your home safer than ever.