Have you ever thought about how often you use your garage door? It is easy to take it for granted, but your garage door is a big part of your home. Sometimes, it is even a way to get into your house that keeps your car safe. However, just like any other part of your home, regular garage door service is important to keep it running smoothly. In this blog, we will talk about why it is important to keep your garage door in good shape. Read on and keep your garage door working well and safely.
Common Garage Door Problems
Garage doors can break down in many ways over time, just like any other mechanical system. Knowing these common issues with garage doors can help owners figure out when they need to be fixed. Here are the most common problems with garage doors, what causes them, and the risks they might bring if not fixed:
Wear and Tear
- Poor Garage Door Condition: Some parts of the garage door system, like the hinges, rollers, and seals, can wear out after some time. This normal wear and tear can make the door noisy, move unevenly, or be hard to open and close.
- Rust and Corrosion: Rust and corrosion can happen to metal parts, especially in places with a lot of moisture or salt air. In the long run, this could make the door and its parts less stable, which could cause them to break.
- Garage Door Track Issues: Garage doors move along tracks. If they get bent, out of place, or blocked, the door might not open or close correctly. It could cause more damage or put people in danger.
- Sensor Misalignment: Modern garage doors have sensors that keep them from closing when something is in the way. The opener might not work properly if these sensors are out of place, which could be dangerous.
Spring and Cable Problems
- Broken Springs: The garage door springs keep the door’s weight in the right balance. When you have a broken garage door spring, the door gets very heavy and dangerous to move. At times, it usually means you can not open the garage door.
- Cable Wear or Breakage: Garage door cables work alongside springs. Damaged or frayed cables can make the door move unevenly or, worse, cause it to fall without warning.
- Motor Issues: The motor is the essential part of an automatic garage door opener. If there are issues with the motor, the garage door might not open or close all the way.
- Remote Control and Keypad Problems: Problems often happen with remote controls and keypads. These devices may become out of sync with the garage door opener, or their batteries may run out.
The Importance of Regular Garage Door Service
Listed below are the main reasons you should get routine garage door service.
One of the largest moving parts in a house is the garage door, and if it breaks, it can seriously hurt someone. Frequent garage door service helps find and fix possible issues before they cause accidents. Additionally, it is important to check safety features, like auto-reverse and motion monitors. They are essential for keeping people, especially kids and pets, safe.
Ensure Secure Closure
For home protection, a garage door that is well taken care of is essential. An issue with the door can cause it to get stuck open, letting thieves or other unwanted people into your home. With periodic garage door service, you make sure that electronic openers and locking systems work properly. It will keep your home and family safe.
Extend the Life of Your Garage Door
A garage door will last longer if you have it serviced on a regular basis. Since garage doors are mechanical, they have many moving parts that can degrade or wear out in the long run. These parts include springs, cables, rollers, and hinges. Without the right care and maintenance, these parts can break, leaving the door partially or totally inoperable. As part of periodic garage door service, you inspect, lubricate, and make any necessary repairs or replacements as needed. This proactive method not only makes sure the garage system works efficiently but also makes it last a lot longer.
Spend Less Money on Replacements and Repairs
Professional garage door service might seem like an added expense, but it is actually a good way to save money. By scheduling regular services, you detect minor issues and resolve them before they become major problems. For example, it is much cheaper to replace worn-out springs or lubricate moving parts than to fix a door mechanism that is fully broken. Emergency repairs or full replacements are much more expensive than minor fixes and routine checks. This is especially true if they need to be done right away at odd times or on the weekend.
Better Garage Door Performance and Functionality
Regular garage door service is essential to keep the door running like clockwork. Breakdowns can happen and can be a hassle, especially when they happen in bad weather or at the wee hours of the day. With frequent service, you can help avoid these problems, making your garage door reliable. You will not have to deal with the hassle of a broken garage door when you least expect it. By keeping your garage door in good shape, it gives you peace of mind.
Overall, spending a little money on garage door service every so often will save you money in the long run. It keeps your garage door working at its best, keeps your family safe and secure, and makes your house more relaxing and convenient. Remember, consistency matters. So aim for at least one annual tune-up service to keep your garage door functional, safe, and visually appealing.
DIY vs. Professional Garage Door Maintenance
Let us look at the pros and cons of doing your garage door maintenance vs. hiring a professional:
DIY Garage Door Maintenance
Pros: DIY maintenance saves money. It is unnecessary to hire a pro to do basic tasks like lubricating hinges, tightening bolts, and cleaning tracks.
Cons: Not knowing enough about garage doors can cause you to make mistakes or miss important problems.
Advantages: You can plan your maintenance whenever it is convenient for you. There is no need to wait for an appointment.
Disadvantages: Doing it yourself can take a long time, especially if you know little about how garage doors work.
Basic Tasks You Can Do
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Apply lubricant to rollers, hinges, and springs from time to time.
- Inspect and Tighten Hardware: Check bolts, nuts, and screws for tightness.
- Clean Tracks: Remove debris from the tracks to ensure smooth operation.
Professional Garage Door Maintenance
Pros: Licensed technicians have in-depth knowledge. They can find problems that are not obvious and give the right solutions.
Cons: Professional services come at a cost.
Advantages: These experts do full inspections, including safety features, balance, and alignment.
Disadvantages: You will need to schedule an appointment and pay for the service.
Advanced Tasks Handled
- Torsion Spring Adjustment: When not handled properly, it can be dangerous. So, let the pros do it.
- Sensor Calibration: Ensures safety features work correctly.
- Electrical Component Checks: Professionals can diagnose electrical issues, including reprogramming your garage door opener.
A balanced approach is often best when it comes to taking care of your garage door. It can be very helpful to use both DIY maintenance for easier tasks and professional garage door service for yearly inspections. Ultimately, your level of skill and specific needs should determine whether you choose to do it yourself or hire a licensed garage door company.
Looking for the best way to fix your garage door problems? Look no further! Titan Garage Doors NE is proud to be the best garage door service company in Omaha and neighboring cities. Our team can help you whether you are looking for the best garage doors to replace the old ones or need a reliable garage door expert to do quick and affordable repairs. We guarantee to offer only the best garage door services, from installing high-quality garage doors for homes to repairing them efficiently. We have got you covered. Let our garage door professionals take care of your garage door service needs. Get in touch with Titan Garage Doors NE right away to get the best garage door care possible!